May 30, 2013

Strawberry jam season


On Saturday, a friend and I went strawberry picking on Sauvie Island. It was early in the season, but with both walked away with about 15 lbs each. So I was able to spend Saturday making my favorite jam. 


 :: Sauvie Island ::

I tried two recipes from "Canning for a New Generation" by Liana Krissoff. Somehow in the recent move I gave my canning water-bath boiler back to my Grandma, so I picked up this large stockpot (silver below) from Goodwill for about $15. Combined with this sweet reversible canning rack (holds 7 pints on one side and 4 quarts on the other) it was a great success and I can use it for cooking other things too. 

1. Quick, High-Yield Strawberry Jam: this tastes wonderful and was very quick to make. The only downside is that using Pamona's, which I really like because of the low sugar requirement but it always seems to have the fruit float to the top (even though I crush it, not slice it). 

:: I used paper tape to write on the jars ::

2. Strawberry and Lemon Preserves: I really like how this jam turned out. While it took a while to make the result is just beautiful and I really think this will be a yearly recipe alternative to freezer jam. 


:: Strawberry and Lemon in the front, used a wee Weck jar ::

No comments: